Sunday, October 6, 2013

Tomato Lunch


We had a really good tomato garden this year and as our garden is headed for Fall, my husband and I are trying to use the tomatoes before they all go bad. This next recipe is fast and easy with tons of flavor that will make you want more. 

We start with a large tomato, fresh basil, fresh garlic, fresh mozzarella cheese, and sourdough bread. Sounds wonderful already right? Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. You can use a cake pan or a cookie sheet for this recipe, it's really up to you. Slice your tomatoes from the bottom so you get the bold pretty color. Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of your pan, place the tomato slices on the bottom of your pan two or three in a row.


I use fresh basil from our garden and this year we have two kinds: Russian Basil, a purple basil and Sweet Basil, a common cooking basil. I'm using our sweet basil for this recipe but you could really use any basil.

 

I use fresh mozzarella for this dish and add big slices over each tomato. Cut or chop the basil and spread over the tomatoes and cheese. Cut and chop three cloves of garlic and add those over the tomatoes. Salt and pepper. I use lots of pepper. Place a slice of sourdough bread over your tomato and cheese and again drizzle olive oil over the bread and bake until golden. Plate and eat. I would have loved a plated picture but Dave was out of the room again before I could grab the camera.


The first thing that will come to mind when you taste this is "fresh" all the flavors come together in perfect joy. I hope you try our tomato lunch today. This may not be gluten free but it sure is healthy and good to eat. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment