Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fritos Chicken Chili Skillet


My mother used to make some interesting dishes when I was a little girl, way back in the 60's and 70's, and boy did I have my favorites. One dish was this hamburger meat casserole she made using Fritos. Mom's recipe was not very healthy so I made a few changes, but kept the Fritos for the sake of taste and well....me. This is so easy!

In the morning, add the following to your slow cooker:

Two frozen chicken breasts ( boneless/skinless)
2 cans of Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes (14.5 oz cans)
1 chicken bullion cube
1 package chili mix (yes, I cheated, but you can use your own chili mix seasonings.*)
1/2 onion, chopped 

Later, you will need 3 cans of beans, cheese, and Fritos of course!

*If you choose to use a seasoning mix, double-check that it is gluten-free. Some are not! Making your own is always the safer bet if you are avoiding any allergens.

Let this cook until chicken is soft (three hours for my cooker).

  

Turn on you broiler and get your oven hot and ready. When your chicken is soft, you can add the beans. I use three different beans: Black, red kidney, and chili beans. Always rinse your canned beans in a colander with cool water. As soon as the beans are rinsed, I add them to the slow cooker and give them a light stir. They're already cooked, so it should only be a few minutes before they're warmed through.

Now comes the fun part. Warm a skillet and toss in a bag of Fritos. (I know...crazy, right?) 

 

Then spoon in your chicken chili mixture on top (you're going to love this)...

 

Now cover this with your favorite cheese. I love sharp cheddar, but you can use whatever you love.

  

(I love all cheese) 

 

Now it goes under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is all bubbly (but not brown, you have to watch it). Then you are ready to plate!

Now I had this wonderful plate all ready for you, but as I turned to grab my camera, my husband ran off with the plate. So this is a not-so-nice picture of my plate so you can see it. My husband devoured this in 20 minutes. In his own words: OMG this is awesome. Yay!

I hope you like this as much as I do. Fritos brings back great memories. 

   

I hope you give this a try. And oh yes....it's all Gluten Free!

Enjoy, 
Zabrina

Note from Yellow: Mom came to visit me last week and made this right before she left, and we loved it! It was perfect comfort food for the cold weather we've been having in North Carolina lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment