Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pasta and Eggs


My friend Nancy in Colorado used to cook dishes I had never seen before. Her house always smelled amazing and I loved spending time with her, chatting it up while she cooked. 

Nancy's mother grew up in Germany and many of Nancy's dishes were German and Czechoslovakian. She made this delicious dish she called Pasta and Eggs, and although she explained you can use any meat such as German sausage, she used bacon and ham because it's what she had at the time. 

My take on this really easy recipe uses Gluten Free pasta, but other than that, I still keep it the way Nancy taught me.





Ingredients:
Gluten Free pasta
Ham
Bacon
Butter
1 large onion or 2 medium onions
8 Egg whites (use the yolks if you like)
1 Tbsp crushed garlic (from a jar I keep in my fridge)
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

 I use this Gluten Free pasta because it tastes as close as I can get to real pasta.

 

In a large pot, add butter, and chopped onions, ham, bacon and spice and cook over medium heat until the onions are soft.

   

As soon as the onion are soft, I turn off the heat and start my pasta. I don't do my pasta first for two reasons: One, I'll forget about it and let it cook to long. Two, I don't want to cook it first because I don't want it to sit around and turn to glue on me (not that that ever happens...) When the pasta is done, just add it to the pot and lightly toss to mix (don't over mix or the pasta will break up!)

  

Please forgive the steam on my camera lens. 

I do not use egg yolks for anything, but once in a while one will get away from me!

  

Pour your eggs over the pasta and ham and onions and give it a light stir, and then (tightly) cover it with a lid. I was too lazy to go get the french pot lid so I used the lid from the boiling pasta pan instead. 

 

Let this cook for 2 to 3 minutes and stir again. Put the lid back on and let it cook for another 2 minutes and you are ready to plate and eat!

 

I hope you try this easy, yummy dish. 

Enjoy! Zabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment