Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My favorite salad


Don't let anyone tell you that a salad doesn't make a full meal! This is my go-to dinner for those nights when I want to feel full and energized, but not weighed down.  It's also fantastic as a side dish for almost any meal; the combination of flavors and textures makes it anything but boring. I'll use whatever I have on hand at the time, but I always include:

baby spring mix
pecans
sliced pear (or other crisp fruit)
feta cheese
dried cranberries

For the pictured salad, I also added cucumbers, mushrooms, and avocado. Tomatoes, fresh berries, and sections of citrus fruit are also great additions!

I slice all my fruit and veggies into bite-sized pieces, and toss them with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. My husband and I love a balsamic vinaigrette with this, but just about any fairly light dressing seems to work well.

If you're serving this with a meal, put your dressing on the bottom of the bowl and layer your ingredients over it, with the lettuce on top. This keeps it from wilting before you toss it all together to serve.

Hope you love it as much as I do! What's your favorite salad?

-Yellow





No comments:

Post a Comment